Welcome to the WholesaleForum.com! Sign in or Register Free to benefit from our full range of free services

Welcome to Wholesale Forum.comWelcome ToWholesale Forum.comFind wholesale buyerstrade buyers and wholesale offers free

For Buyers

Wholesale Forum is the fastest growing online business community dedicated to retailers, auction sellers, surplus and overstock buyers needing a quick and safe solution for sourcing trade stock. Join our free and friendly forums today and gain knowledge, offer your advice, and discover new partnership opportunities:

For Suppliers

For wholesalers, dropshippers, manufacturers, distributors and trade services providers. Advertise your business today on WholesaleForum.com for free to reach potential trade buyers on a more personal level. Promote your latest offers, interact with buyers in real time, distinguish yourself as an expert in your field, and attract sales instantly.

Sign up now More benefits for Buyers
Sign up now More benefits for Suppliers
    1. IDavid is offline

      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
      0 Times in 0 Posts

      Laws and Regulations One should know before Importing to the UK - Import Guide

      Hello all,

      I am looking to start importing business in the UK, but before taking any further step I want to know what are the laws and regulations for importing?
      Over 150,000 Verified Sources + Deals 95% Off MSRP + Free Website!

    2. experience is offline

      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      United States
      United States
      51 Times in 35 Posts


      Originally Posted by IDavid View Post
      Hello all,

      I am looking to start importing business in the UK, but before taking any further step I want to know what are the laws and regulations for importing?
      Hello David,

      There are many myths about importing and one of the most common is that you need a licence. That is not so. Anyone, whether individual or Ltd Company is allowed to import goods to the UK.

      Importing laws and regulations are very complex and I would never advise anyone to try to learn them all in order to start importing. It could take you months to say the least and possibly years depending on which courses you undertake.

      You may get a few clues from people who respond to your post but there is simply not the space available to set out all you need to know if you are thinking of going it alone.

      I have a lifetime of experience in import/export and I have all the qualifications necessary to handle all shipping and Customs issues myself, but I never did it for myself. For 22 years I ran an importing business and I always left it to others to handle what I call the donkey work.

      My suppliers always handled the shipping arrangements and in most cases that included Customs clearance as part of the door to door service I paid for. The high profit margins were more than enough to justify paying others to do the tedious work.

      I franchised my business in 4 countries and trained all of my franchisees how to safely source and how to import the easy way. None of them ever had to worry about learning the rules and regulations.

      You need to find someone who can guide you in how to simplify the procedure.
      Want To Be An eBay Powerseller?
      This is the Service You Need.
      To learn safe overseas sourcing and how to buy small (or large) quantities at best prices see→ http://provenchinasourcing.comLearn to find genuine manufacturers and negotiate small orders at prices way below what wholesalers charge. Written after my health enforced retirement and provides insider information from veteran with experience exporting 1978-1987 importing since 1987 Learn to import the easy way

    3. MissWholesale's Avatar
      MissWholesale is offline

      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
      240 Times in 196 Posts
      Hello David,

      Welcome to Wholesale Forum

      The following guide will give you an overview of various aspects that you need to know when importing into the UK.

      Goods imported into the UK require the following:
      • A completed C88 form.
        A C88 is the customs declaration form that specifies information about the parties involved in the import, means of transportation, and statistical data.

      • Goods classification
        Your goods will be processed through Customs quicker if the correct classification has been filed. For this, you need to search for the relevant commodity code and import duty % for your product. In case, you find it difficult, you can take help from the Tariff Classification help-line or through sites such as http://www.dutycalculator.com

      • An attached copy of the supplier’s invoice.

      • Any special licenses and certificates that may be required to import the product into the UK.
      Here are some generic points that cover useful information about the laws and regulations for importing into the UK.
      • Import regulations for food products
        Several new rigorous rules have been introduced since January 2010 to safeguard food imports into the UK. All EU Member states are exempt from these rules because of the harmonisation of food hygiene and preparation within Europe.

        The Commission Regulation (EC) 669/2009, which is revised by virtue of the Commission Regulation (EU) 433/2011 briefs about high-risk countries outside the EEC. Also, it includes a definitive list of the various food items.

        If you are based in the UK and looking to import any high-risk food items, they will need to be declared at the entry port or airport. In such cases, the importer will have the following two obligations:

        Under the obligation of notification and disclosure, the importer must inform HMRC one day prior to goods arrival, so that customs can make the required screening arrangements at the designated point of entry. Be aware that any non-compliance may lead to the possibility of criminal prosecution, including fines and/or imprisonment.

        Importers are legally bound to cover the cost of the inspection to the local authority responsible for quality control check. The importer needs to pay a fee that is equal to but never exceeds the cost of the quality control check.

        In the UK, standard rate of Value Added Tax (VAT) is currently 20%. There is no need to pay VAT for retail food. But the exceptions are:
        • Ice Cream and similar frozen products and mixes for making ice cream
        • Confectionery, Chocolates, liqueur chocolates and similar sweets
        • Alcoholic beverages like beer, cider, perry, wine, spirits and liqueurs. Also Semi-set alcoholic jellies designed to be swallowed as cocktails.
        • Non Alcoholic beverages (other than medicinal drinks), and preparations for making them.
        • Potato snacks, potato chips and similar products made from potato flour or potato starch. Roasted or salted nuts and some other savory snack products
        • Products for home brewing and wine making
      • Import regulations for vehicles
        When a car has been imported into the UK, it must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) irrespective of whether it is intended for personal use or commercial purposes.

        The DVLA will verify that the vehicle has sufficient stability and quality to be used on UK roads. In case the vehicle fails to satisfy such conditions, it would be a criminal offence to use said vehicle in the UK.

        If the car is less than ten years old and is being imported from a EU Member State, the importation process will be quicker due to mutual recognition schemes between member states. If the vehicle is less than ten years old and is being imported from a Non-EU nation, it will need to pass additional quality control checks known collectively as the Single Vehicle Approval Inspection.

      • Import regulations for electrical and electronic supplies
        One of the fundamental guidelines for importing electrical and electronic supplies into the UK is the General Product Safety Directive. It is a piece of legislation that places a statutory, legal obligation upon importers to ensure that the goods should have sound quality and not pose a risk to consumers.

        The types of goods that are governed and regulated by the General Product Safety Directive and intended to be utilised by consumers are covered under the terms of the directive. If an importer fails to adhere to the General Product Safety Directive standards, they might be at risk of litigation. Electrical goods import can be very challenging, more so because there are an increasing number of rules to follow, including Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2006 governing the import of used electrical and electronic products into the UK.

      • Import regulations for clothing, footwear and fashion
        Being a citizen of a European Union member country, you can import clothing, footwear and fashion goods from other member countries simply paying VAT and excise duty charges that apply to your garments. If however you import clothing from non-EU countries, it is essential to fulfill all the import licensing requirements and common customs tariffs. Import restrictions you may come across can be product-specific or trade-specific. Your imports also need to be supported by applicable certificates, product-specific licences issued by the competent authority and documentation. Goods imported into the UK must comply with several domestic business standards, including safeguarding any intellectual property, pollution regulations, and packaging and textile labelling rules.

        If you are importing clothes, then there are three European standards on clothes sizing which you need to be aware of. They are known as: EN 13402-1:2001, EN 13402-2:2002 and EN 13402-3:2004. The aim behind creating these standards is establishing a common sizing system.

      • Calculation of Import VAT for EU goods
        There is no need to pay any additional VAT on goods imported from other EU member states (with the exception of goods mentioned earlier).

      • The calculation levying of Import VAT for non-EU goods
        When importing goods that are subject to VAT (restricted goods from other EU member states or any goods from outside the EU), VAT is calculated on the net price of the goods declared on the Custom Declaration.
      For more information about importing to the UK, see the following past discussions:To learn more about finding and verifying suppliers see:Hope this helps

    4. Thank you for this post:

      jozef.f (12 Mar 2014)

Sign Up Now

Got something to say? Sign up now and join the discussions.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09 Jun 2011, 05:13 AM
  2. Which products are prohibited to import into Libya - Regulations and Laws
    By Mhallaway in forum Import & Export Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09 Jun 2011, 06:50 AM
  3. Importing from China to India - legal requirements, laws and regulations
    By soumen in forum Legal, Contracts, Insurance & Trade Terms Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22 Jan 2013, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22 Feb 2012, 12:33 PM
  5. Italy to UK Import Legalities - Rules and Regulations for Importing Supplements
    By BeckhamSale in forum Import & Export Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10 May 2011, 03:10 AM
  6. Rules & regulations for importing Swiss Army Knives - Can I legally import a knife UK
    By Rocky78 in forum Legal, Contracts, Insurance & Trade Terms Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27 Apr 2011, 11:56 PM
  7. Importing wine into America - US rules and regulations on the import of alcohol
    By Peshawarn00b in forum Import & Export Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18 Aug 2011, 04:56 AM
  8. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12 Mar 2013, 04:45 PM
  9. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25 Sep 2012, 11:30 PM
  10. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08 Jul 2011, 06:55 AM

My Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM. - Fixed Width